Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:37:45 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: killed libc.so.7 somehow - help./ISO images of CURRENT

--------------enigC03CC46E62F819F6519B5269

On 02/15/12 13:01, Lars Engels wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 01:47:24PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 15/02/2012 12:33 O. Hartmann said the following:
>>> Hello. Accidentally, I managed to kill my libc.so.7 and didn't make a=

>>> backup. Now my FreeBSD 10/amd64 box, compiled yesterday's world last =
time,=20
>>> refuses to do anything since login doesn't work. /bin/sh is missing a=
=20
>>> symbol, I forgot the name, it was late last night (and therefore I ma=
de=20
>>> that mistake).
>>>
>>> I thought I could start over with a snapshot emergency/live DVD/CD, b=
ut for
>>> CURRENT, I can not find any ISO images. Apart from the CTM way, is th=
ere
>>> another opportunity toget a) ISO images of a more recent CURRENT b) a=

>>> working libc.so.7 that will make me rebuilding the system?
>>>
>>> Sorry for the noise, I'm ashamed about to ask and yes, I will bare th=
e=20
>>> laugh.
>>
>> Tools in /rescue should work without libc, but I am not sure if they w=
ould be
>> enough to somehow restore libc on your system.
>=20
> A static version of fetch(1) would be great for this.

;-) Problem: I can not even login anymore, since I have "insecured" the
console for security reasons and the shell is rejecting due to a symbol
missing. I tried booting into single user mode, but that doesn't help
much. I really fu**ed up the box by stupiditely interrupting the install
process at some point letting my finger play tired on the keyboard.

The only way is to boot into rescue mission disk/dvd and try copying the
corrupted libc with another one ... I hope it doesn't make difference
then that most images I saw compile with legacy GCC and I built the
whole system with CLANG.

Thanks and regards,
Oliver