Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 22:46:26 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Roger" <shadow@net-ten.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: csh shell

"Roger" writes:
> Hi, there
>
> I use the default FreeBSD shell (csh) and would like to know:
>
> how can I setup the arrow keys (Up, Down) to scroll through the history
> events and (Left, Right) to move
> back and forward through a text in Console and X-Term either?

A scrollable history is not a feature of csh. Install the tcsh port,
then ^P and ^N will let you roll thru your history buffer. Plus
Emacs-like commands are available for editing the command line.

Summary of how to install tcsh:

% su
# cd /usr/ports/shells/tcsh
# make install && make clean
# exit
% rehash		# gotta do this for csh to find it
			# after a fresh install.
% tcsh			# play with it and see if you like it
% chsh -s tcsh roger	# make it your selection on next login