Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:25:59 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        birdfund@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i386 vs amd64

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:53:26 -0500, mike miskulin wrote:
> But I guess the basic question remains - are there any considerations in
> regards ports, linux emulation, etc that would sway me to remain i386?

The only problem might be if you want to use wine. As it has
been said, there are binary packages (wine_amd64, if I remember
correctly), but the rest of the system should run good on
amd64 as it did on i386.

Sidenote: I switched back from 8.2/amd64 to 8.2/i386 because
of three reasons (in fact, two reasons and one justification):
I had problems with wine, problems with nVidia's driver (plus
a faulty GPU), and I only have 2 GB RAM. Anywhere else, I have
not experienced problems with amd64.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany