Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 08:59:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd blank freezes system for a while

It seems Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Hi Søren,
>
> first of all thanks for your fine burncd program. It is always my last
> chance when burning audio CD's under windows 2000 fails (even with
> the latest Nero and other software). Its a pity, that commercial
> programs don't do the job well...

You're welcome :)

> My problem: whenever I blank a CD-RW, it freezes my system for a while
> (perhaps ~5-10 seconds). Mouse cursor freezes under X11. But its not
> during the complete blank operation.

This is normal (on -stable) for now.

> ad2: 43979MB <IBM-DTLA-307045> [89355/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA66
> acd1: CD-RW <SONY CD-RW CRX140E> at ata1-slave using PIO4

The above two lines says it all, you share a disk with the burner, now
when the blank starts that operation blocks the ATA bus the burner is
on due to the way its done in -stable (this doesn't happen on -current
but the method there has other problems :) ). So if your system tries
to use the disk on that same channel it has to wait until the burner
releases the bus. There is no harm done, but the system is unresponsive
durinf the block...

-Søren