Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 02:27:09 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>, chris@netmonger.net, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

> On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>

> > [snip]
> > > We gained quite a bit from it, but let's not rewrite history.  I
> > > remember quite clearly that there was a very popular Adaptec SCSI
> > > controller missing when the switch to CAM was made, and a lot of
> > [snip]
> >

> more importantly we lost the aha driver for a while.
>
> > 	we lost teh aic controller at that time.

Touche !  I've got my back end machine here (gate), the only machine
I can test the new-busified i4b software on, I've got an aha0 driver
that says ``aha0: status reg test failed ff'' stopping me from seeing
/home, /var and /usr/local, I've got a failing 1.2Gb IDE boot disk (I
have to physically kick the machine a few times now and again to make
it recover), I've got a second IDE disk that actually functions and a
third that locks up the ata driver on probe (I only found this out when I
changed the IDE controller in this machine about 2 weeks ago to
defeat some dodgy memory/cache).  I've got a new 28Gb disk on the
floor that I'd like to replace the boot disk with if I could just get a
current build - but the last -current with a working ata driver is
from the 5th.

I just hope that the ata lockup was due to an i/o conflict with the
ISDN card that has now been fixed, but I have no chance of testing
this in ``the next few days''.

I have no problem with ata becoming standard.  I have a big problem
with wd being removed.  I see no good reason for not leaving it there.
If people want to tear working code out of the system, at least give
us some notice !

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>