Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 1997 16:12:22 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quick MAXMEM questoin

>	I'm just about to double the RAM in one of my servers from
>48 to 96Meg, and believe that I have to set MAXMEM in my config so
>that the kernel recognizes it (kernel from Dec 17th, 2.2-CURRENT of the
>time)
>
>	the question, albeit possible lame, is whether it is safe to
>set MAXMEM to 96Meg *before* the RAM goes in and leave the kernel run
>that way.  I'm doing the upgrade remotely (ie. I'm in Halifax, NS, and
>someone in Toronto, Ontario is putting the hardware in for me), so I
>can't/won't be in front of the machine if something goes wrong OSwise,
>which is why I'd like to sort of pre-plan this as much as possible :)

   Yes, while I did remove the generic memory testing code because it was
too slow, I did leave in a quick memory sizing code that will make sure
that the detected or configured amount of memory is really present. If
you set it to 96MB and you don't have that much memory, FreeBSD should
truncate the setting to however much memory you have. There's a bug in
the reporting, however, that causes it to say something about "memory
holes"...just ignore that.

-DG

David Greenman