Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:55:53 +0200
From:      Mark Evenson <mark.evenson@gmx.at>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Controlling Evolution MIME helper associations?

How do I control Evolution's notion of the handler to associate with a
given MIME type?

With the latest Evolution (2.22.3.1) build from ports, Evolution's
notion of which handler to associate with which MIME type seems very
screwed up when it comes to attachments OpenOffice.org and Microsoft
document formats.  For attachments with "*.doc" and "*.xls", I only get
a "Save As..." option from the associated context menu.  For files with
"*.odt", I get a context menu offering to "Save As..." as well as open
with "OpenOffice-2.3.1", "Archive Manager", or "Wine Windows Program
Loader" which would be ok except for the fact that I have long since
moved to "OpenOffice-3.0.0".

The file associations in Nautilus are correct (i.e. it knows to
associate "OpenOffice-3.0.0-Calc" with files of type
"application/vnd.ms-excel"), so it seems that something is overriding
Evolution's notion of MIME associations.

The operating system instance has been continuous upgraded via
'portupgrade' for about two years running, so things are undoubtably
outside the normal path for upgrades, but I can't really understand
where to begin here.  Any pointers?

For what it's worth, creating a completely new user accessing the same
mailbox via Evolution shows the same behavior, so this seems to be
something screwed up in the system directories as opposed to the user
directories.

I did a little reading about 'update-mime-database', but since Nautilus
knows the correct associations but not Evolution, that doesn't seem to
be the correct path.

Any clues on what to look at?

--
<Mark.Evenson@gmx.at>

"[T]his is not a disentanglement from, but a progressive knotting into."