Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:54:58 -0400
From:      Benjamin Greenwald <beng@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whats is this? FBSD 4.1 isn't stable!

This e-mail also highlights a common misconception.  The "stable"
in FreeBSD-Stable refers to the stability of the feature set of the
releases along the branch, not the robustness of those releases.
Granted the two are correlated, but there is always the possibility that
you will be the unlucky (or lucky depending on your point of view) one
to run into a yet undiscovered bug in an existing feature.

Generally, the system gets more robust the more releases there are down
a particular branch.  That is one of the reasons some people continue to
use FreeBSD-3.x ... they don't yet trust -Stable.

-Ben Greenwald