Date:      Fri, 5 May 1995 07:48:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@kilroy.id.net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        rls@kilroy.id.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: YP Compatible password program? Or similar...

> > We have several machines here that users can login to.  We are currently
> > using one machine that they can't login into as the server machine, that
> > regularly copies down password files to the login machines.. Understand?
> >
> > Basically, we are looking for a freely available program that works
> > similar to the YP password program suite.  It needs to run on FreeBSD.
>
> FreeBSD 2.0 and later, especially later, as Bill Paul has made MANY
> improvements, has full support for NIS (what YP was renamed to).

Has FreeBSD 2.0-SNAP (something) gotten to the point where it is stable yet?
We tried the first SNAP release and couldn't keep it up for 24 hours, where
as with 1.1.5.1 w/patches we have uptimes of 30+ days.  Keep in mind, there
are 3 user login machines, with 3 main server machines, all being used for
Internet access and being beaten on pretty severly (Ie: Full news feed,
mailing lists, 20+ people at once using POP server, WEB server, and FTP
server each as well as reading news, and doing other "misc" things).  Is
anybody else in a similar situation that can report on their uptimes with
the latest FreeBSD?  I'd love to switch, but last time we did, it pissed
alot of people off.. Kept crashing in the middle of them doing things.

		-- Rob
===
                             Innovative Data Services
                          Serving South-Eastern Michigan
        Internet Service Provider / Hardware Sales / Consulting Services
       Voice: (810)348-0000 / Fax: (810)348-9430 / Web: http://www.id.net