Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:13:43 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        totem@totem.is-a-geek.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow directory access with lots of files

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:09:52AM -0800, Totem wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I'm new to this list so please excuse me if this has been asked before=20
> or if I don't provide enough info.
>=20
> I'm having an issue and I hope someone can help me understand what is=20
> happening.  I have a FreeBSD server that is running Samba.  When users=20
> access directories that store lots of files (3k or so), access to the=20
> files is very slow.  I'm guessing that it is a file system issue.  I'd=20
> like to troubleshoot the problem but I don't know where to start.  (In=20
> the mean time I have just told the users to create sub-directories and=20
> sort their files).  Is there anything that I can do to make things run=20
> faster?

Do you have UFS_DIRHASH in your kernel?  If you don't, or if you added
it after the disk was already populated, you'll see the benefits if
you dump, wipe and restore the disk.

Also try updating to 5.3, which is much better than the 5.2.1
developers preview release.

Kris
--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn--