Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 2016 12:34:57 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Jean-S=c3=a9bastien_P=c3=a9dron?= <jean-sebastien.pedron@dumbbell.fr>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ValleyView

Le 07/02/2016 09:15, Alexander Mishurov a écrit :
> So I still want to enable VLV graphics by moving code closer to 3.10.
> Then start to fix bugs on already working video.
>
> There's some notes, if you can comment them, it would be great.
>
> 1. My VGA PCI ID is not listed and there isn't a lot of VLV specific
> registers and functions in existing code. The closest branch is 3.10.
> I tried to use code from 3.14, then from 3.12, I got all working
> except of eDP and i2c communication but diffs are too big. Then I
> decided to use closest branch from Linux which have desired code. To
> make FreeBSD code more consistent and don't do a lot of work with
> huge diffs.

Instead of jumping to 3.10, I would go with 3.9 first, then 3.10.

I added a Getting started guide to the wiki, hopefully it can help you:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Getting%20started%20with%20kernel%20projects

> 2. I still have misunderstanding about AGP, AGP driver used for gtt
> initialisation and other things in drm so I have to enable my id in
> AGP driver,

In Linux, they are moving more and more control away from the agp driver
to the i915 driver. In Linux 3.8, this task was not completed, I don't
know in Linux 3.9 or 3.10. For Haswell, all initialization is done in
i915, not in agp, but agp still has the PCI IDs and attaches.

> Now after my attempts I'm familiar enough with 3.8 branch code
> and equivalent code from Linux to make some useful changes.
> I want to join IRC or mail you when diffs will be ready or there will
> be some significant questions because I don't want to bother people
> when there's nothing to show.

You don't both people, quite the opposite: if you share code, people
will be able to help, even if it's just doing some review or
compile-testing locally.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron