Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:11:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, sos@sos.freebsd.dk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building RAID systems

Quoth Michael Smith on Thu, 24 July:
: Tony Kimball stands accused of saying:
: >
: > I wish.  SCSI is hopeless these days.  About 3-5x the price
: > of IDE.
:
: Actually, you should go back and look at what SCSI drive prices are
: doing at the moment.  I can get a 5400 RPM 4GB ultra scsi IBM disk for
: less than 30% more than the corresponding IDE model.  IBM's pricing is
: pretty keen at the moment.

This 'corresponding IDE model' argument has been used before.  I find
it utterly specious.  There is no SCSI model which corresponds to the
IDE disk drives I actually buy.  I know that can buy a 6.4G 3.5"
Seagate for ~$350.  The closest match I know in SCSI is a Micropolis
8.7G for $1300.  That's one big gap. If you know of a 3.5" SCSI drive
offering >5G which is competetive in price with the Seagate drive, I'd
like to know, because I'd like to buy it.

I have been hoping for a long time that things would change, that
SCSI drives would come in line with IDE price/performance.  Instead,
the situation is getting worse and worse.