Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:07:11 +1100
From:      Nik Lam <freebsdnik@j2d.lam.net.au>
To:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configuring if_bridge with stp at boot in /etc/rc.conf

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> It may be possible that the link-up notification is not happening for
> em2 or we are somehow missing the first one.
>
> Can you try this patch and see if stp on em2 kicks into life. Can you
> also test unplugging/plugging the network cable for em2 and see if you
> get link change messages in your dmesg.
>

> Andrew

That patch has done the job Andrew.  Thanks.  Under the patched kernel,
if I log in straight away after boot up, at first I see em1 listening
and em2 disabled.  About 5 or 10 seconds later em2 goes into listening
state and some time after that forwarding across the bridge starts.

As an aside in case anyone notices, I just got a sinking feeling that
I'd given you a red herring - I realised that there was an error in my
rc.conf:

ifconfig_bridge0="addm em1 stp em1 addm em2 stp em2 ifpriority em1 10
ifpriority em2 20 ifpathcost em1 10 ifpathcost 20 hellotime 2 maxage 5
fwddelay 6  priority 10 up"

I left out the "em2" in defining the path cost for that member
interface.  However, I was able to reproduce the problem even after I
corrected the rc.conf and booted using the unpatched kernel.  Using the
patched kernel it works either way.

Regards,

Nik