Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:16:14 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        marck@rinet.ru, jonc@chen.org.nz, craig@meoqu.gank.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel config problem with 4.6-STABLE...  [solution]

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 07:40:52PM +0200, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 20:30:11 +0300
> Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>=20
> RE> Nope, bootstrap is not enough.  Kernel may also require a new set of
> RE> cross-tools (compiler and binutils, amongst others) to be buildable.
>=20
> 	Let me see if I can get this right.
>=20
> 	You can buildkernel with no world if and only if the sources
> and installed world match and you are not cross building. You might be
> lucky if they are not too different.
>=20
Yes.

> 	You can buildkernel with just bootstrap if you are not cross
> building. You will need to buildworld sooner or later if sources don't
> match the world so you might as well do it now.
>=20
There are different types of "cross".  Cross-architecture is only one
of them.  The other one being cross-release, cross-API, etc., i.e.
where some incompatible changes are made.  For the buildkernel, OTOH,
you only need the new version of cross-tools (compiler and binutils)
and bootstrap-tools (config(8) is most important thing), i.e. you only
need the _bootstrap-tools and _cross-tools stages of buildworld.  We
don't currently provide a user-visible API to run only these stages.

> 	You need to buildworld if you are cross building.
>=20
If you are cross building the whole world, yes.  If you are cross
building the kernel only (e.g. building a 5.0 kernel on 4.x), see
above.

> 	ISTM that it would be nice to identify the first case and make
> buildkernel depend on a built world otherwise. I'm not sure the first is
> automatically identifiable though.
>=20
I'm affraid this is not possible to automate.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,