Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 15:06:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        tony@dell.com (Tony Overfield)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: >64MB

According to Tony Overfield:
> >There is no graceful failure mode possible for a failure to
> >load yourself.
>
> How about this message, "Not enough extended memory found!
> (4 MB needed)"?  No, I'm not really arguing for any changes here,
> the days of 640K systems are long gone, but graceful failure is
> indeed possible.

Heh. How are you going to get that message (or a filename to get it from),
plus the check and such into 12 bytes? :-\
Remember we're darn low on space in the boot block.

It seems to me not doing the check at all, and just loading the kernel, and
hoping it works would be better. Then you could save the bytes used today to
find out how much memory we have and instead do that right in the begining of
the kernel code. Specially if we don't use the value anyway. (!?)

  /Mikael