Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:53:46 -0500
From:      Kirk Bailey <idiot1@netzero.net>
To:        "security@FreeBSD.ORG" <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   list scripts, permissions, and ownerships.

I have a problem. I am writing a script to create lists, and another to destroy
them- that is, MAIL lists, such as mailman, majordomo, and mojomail and tinylist
all work with. (I write TinyList.)

The aliases file must have certain permissions, and it appears to be 644  in my
freebsd box- hope that's correct, but it works fine. And the ownership is root,
and that works fine.

well, apache in the box is nobody:wheel and runs scripts as such. I have the
scripts owned nobody:wheel also. They run, but it cannot access the aliases
file-permissions/ownerships. OK, changed the relevant scripts' ownerships to
root (gasp!) and tried to run things that way. still no luck. Scripts apparently
are running as nobody, even though owned by root.

OK, a few questions.

First, how to I get a script to discover what identity it is running as?

Second, how can I insure it runs as a particular identity(so as to be compatable
with the email system), when run by the web server?

third, what are the correct ownerships and permissions for /etc/mail and for
aliases? Just want to make sure I have things right.

--

end

Respectfully,
             Kirk D Bailey