| raw e-mail | index | archive | help
This is in effect what someone else suggested using multiple route tables in freeBSD and ipfw rules, iirc.

> Example D.19. Using src in a routing command with route add
>
> [root@masq-gw]# ip route add default via 205.254.211.254 src 205.254.211.198 table 7
> "
>
> man ip-route
>
> "src ADDRESS
>       the source address to prefer when sending to the
>       destinations covered by the route prefix."
>

> Bird (BGP Daemon)
> ----
> "The Kernel protocol defines several attributes. These attributes are translated to appropriate system (and OS-specific) route attributes. We support these attributes:
> ..
> ip krt_prefsrc
> (Linux) The preferred source address. Used in source address selection for outgoing packets. Has to be one of the IP addresses of the router."

This is for the purpose of bird process only and does not effect other processes.  This is mainly used to control the source addressed used for eBGP sessions, though this can fail misserably when you have multiple interfaces speaking eBGP.

Though I can see some merit in what your suggesting to do, I also know that it comes with a many problems as it might solve, like ping would stop working on a local link if the assigned "src IP" is not routable by the entity your trying to ping, which for me would be the case in many places as the IX IP only appears on the IX interface and nothing any place inside or outside my AS has a route to it.  I believe this is the intent of the IX IP policy on use of unrouteable IP addresses.