Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:48:48 -0600
From:      Jim King <king@sstar.com>
To:        dima@rdy.com, alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arc4random && read_random

At 11:16 AM 11/30/1999 -0800, Dima Ruban wrote:
>Hey guys!
>
>Is anybody going to do something about Subj.? Recent "random pids" change
>broke kernel on alpha.
>I guess, quick and dirty hack world be to add arc4random.c and write a
>dummy version of read_random() until somebody will actually merge
>i386 stuff to alpha.
>
>-- dima

I hacked around the problem by adding arc4random.c to
sys/alpha/conf/files.alpha, and commenting out the call to read_random() in
arc4random.c (replacing it with "r = 0;" to initialize the return value).

I agree that implementing read_random for Alpha - even a dummy version -
would be a better way to do it (but my way was quicker :-).

Jim