Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 20:21:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      sclawson@bottles.cs.utah.edu (steve clawson)
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, sclawson@bottles.cs.utah.edu, ivt@gamma.ru, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: blkfree: freeling free block/frag

Terry Lambert uttered:
> > >      All nicely clustered...except for that sixth one.  At first I
> > > thought that the clustering code was at fault, but disk block 79be0
> > > was untouched, and the `real' disk block (179be0) had the correct data
> > > for the new file.  So, the list of blocks in the inode was corrupted
> > > sometime after the data blocks for the file were written.
> >
> > Single-bit memory error, perhaps?  Still, keep an eye on it...
>
> If this panic'ed, you need to look at the stack.  I would prefer you look
> at the stack for #5.

    I don't have a crash dump of it, since I found the affected files
before someone decided to try and delete them and panic the system.
Not that it would have helped much in this case, since the corruption
happened long before the panic.  Basically the problem I'm seeing
leaves these time bombs sitting in the filesystem for you. =(

> I do not believe this is a single bit error.  I believe this is the same
> problem I have been seeing.
>
> Does your ethernet hardware address begin with 00 00?

     Yes.  The machine has 3 active ether cards, all of which have
hardware addresses that begin with 00 00.

steve

--
// stephen clawson				sclawson@cs.utah.edu
// university of utah