Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:49:49 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (FWD) Re: Alpha builds

All things being equal, the perl problem should be fixed.  It was a problem
in the config.SH files - it had 'long' in the int32 type settings and
'long long' for 64 bit types.  In hindsight I should probably have set
them all to int32_t, int64_t etc.

There is still a warning in the 'B' module that I do not like the look of,
but perl builds and miniperl runs for the dependency stuff.  I finished a
buildworld/installworld about 5 minutes ago.

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Yes, I'd like help with this also. I'm quite busy trying to get stuff
> backported for 4.1 and if someone could take on the task of
>
> 	- fixing perl
> 	- fixing gdb for the kernel
>
> they'll get smothered with hugs and kisses. I plan to take another run at
> trying to get perl buildable this weekend, but if someone else can tackle it,
> that'd be great.
>
> Note that perl actually appears to *build* out of the straight bundle of
> stuff- but fails a couple of the tests.
>
> The problem for our build appears to be in usage of miniperl. One thing I'm,
> heh heh, trying to make sure of as I rebuild perl, is that the old libperl.so
> is not around- that can sure confuse one when you build the gnu tarball.
>
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> > Can everyone pitch in to help with this situation that *never* should
> > have happened?
> >

> > ----- Forwarded message from Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> -----
> > > Would it be possible for you to try a buildworld on Beast?  I'm getting
> > > this on an upto date Alpha:
> >
> > I'm working with Matt Jacob on this one.
> > (I also get it).
> >
> > I can't do any long distance debutgging - the connection is too slow.
> >
> > Please do your "make world" with NOPERL set, and in the meanwhile
> > assist with this:
> >
> > Get an original perl tarball, and mess with configuring it until
> > it works; then "make clean", tar it up and put it somewhere where I
> > can get it.
> >
> > I'll fix from there.

> > --
> > Mark Murray
> > Join the anti-SPAM movement: http://www.cauce.org
> >
> > ----- End forwarded message -----

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-alpha" in the body of the message

Cheers,
-Peter