Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2007 15:22:46 -0700
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Php5 port and Apache Module

On Saturday 09 June 2007 14:13:10 Christopher Hilton wrote:
> Bob wrote:
> > The php4 & php5 port apache module used to be default before FBSD 6.0.
> > Many people before you on this list have wanted the php4/5 apache module
> > turned back on as default but so far the port maintainer has not done
> > anything
> > in any way of justifying removing the apache module from the default
> > setting or re-enable it as the default.
> >
> > This has forced all php4/5 users who want to use php in apache to compile
> > it manually with the apache module option selected during the make
> > install of the port.
> > When it was part of the default the php4/5 package was so quick to
> > install and ready to work with apache without any special handling.
> >
> > Hope you have better luck finding the justification for it being removed
> > from the default.
>
> I've been operating under the assumption that:
>
> There is some configuration you can do in
> /usr/local/etc/apache*/httpd.conf to get apache to use the CGI version
> of php;
>
> That this can be done without requiring a shebang (#! ...) line at the
> beginning of every php script;
>
> And that using php as a CGI script offers better performance than
> running it as an apache module.
>
> Looking on the internet though I cannot seem to find a set of
> instructions for configuring php-cgi in apache2. And once I do find the
> configuration I'll have to have a shebang at the start of every php
> module. Further all the performance comparisons that I've seen seem show
> that the performance of php as a FastCGI script and as an Apache Module
> are about equal.
>
> I don't want to get into a war. I'm still assuming that the port
> maintainer knows something that I don't. If I cannot get this running
> soon I guess that I will go back to mod_php5 and revisit this later.
>
> -- Chris

I think you need mod_fastcgi if you want to use fastcgi.

Alternatively , if my memory serves me correctly, suexec is needed and I think
that needs to be configured prior to build time by editing suexec.h

I also remember you may needd to use the Directive SuexecUserGroup [groupname
username] in virtual host containers..

sorry this sounds awfully vague but I am quoting from a failing memory hoping
that there might be some sense among my nonsense <chuckles>

david