Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 09:15:04 -0500
From:      Jeff Love <jl@burghcom.com>
To:        =?windows-1252?Q?=3F=3F?= <Ruslan@uuh0.bank.gov.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, " (freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG)" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Quake III

Ruslik,
The X error you sent seemed to be a permissions error to '/dev/mem', an
error I'm not used to seeing. I don't think /dev/mem should be world
readable. It seems that X must be suid root to read this.

I don't currently run Quake client, but the module you need for X is
'GLX' or 'DRI'. These modules enable OpenGL, which is needed to run the
client. Perhaps someone running client can comment. Your video card must
support OpenGL for this to work.
A good link for documentation on this is
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/q3a/

You must be sure that you are running linux emulation version 'base 7',
not 'base 6'. The older version has antique libraries, and will cause
Quake3Arena server or add-on modules to fail.

I do not install the server from the ports collection. I use a quake3
install CD and the latest linux point release.

Hope this is helpful,

Jeff Love
Burgh-Com

> In /etc/rc.conf
> linux_enable="YES"
>
> I run quake3.x86 and X server lost. Log file in attach. What port needs to
> be install to play in Quake III? When I did not install wrapper X
> server not
> lost.

(WW) checkDevMem: failed to open /dev/mem (Permission denied)
    linear framebuffer access unavailable

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be suid root