Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:36:54 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>, "Mr. Darren" <darren780@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "freebsd" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: need software MAC address

From: "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>
To: "Mr. Darren" <darren780@yahoo.com>
Cc: "freebsd" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 5:49 PM

> Mr. Darren(darren780@yahoo.com)@2002.10.18 09:51:54 +0000:
> > My isp has partitioned the bandwidth it has assigned
> > me in half.(they assume everyone has 2 computers)  If
> > I want to use it, I can buy a switch and add an extra
> > NIC card.  I however would prefer to simply create a
> > fake interface, give it a separate MAC address.. and
> > BRIDGE it.  any input on this would be helpfull.
> >
> > -Darren
> >

> Tell them to go piss up a flagpole and give you your other rightful
half
> of your bandwidth.  Bitch like hell or get another provider.
Remind
> them that "assume is making an ass out of u and me."
>
> --
> Scott Nolde
> GPG Key 0xD869AB48

LOL.  He may have the right idea.  Hard to believe
they'd do such a thang.

Here's my thought ...

Tell them you <bought> and run your (two!) computer(s)
through a hardware router for security, and have them
assign the IP to the "router's" mac addy, which, I guess, could just
be the
NIC in the box, what they dunno don't hurt?  If that MAC is
already "on file", I've got a DI-604 I'd sell you cheap, but I like
FBSDers, so I'd have to say I wouldn't wish that device on
Linus Torvalds......

I guess another NIC don't cost too much, either, AFATG.

Just my .02..

Kevin Kinsey