Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:29:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog-free console/vty possible?

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Atipa wrote:
>

> > You are right, since I killed syslog and it still came up. Is there a way
> > to restirct /dev/console to only ttyv0 or something? That would be perfect.
>
> /dev/console is ttyv0 by default.  I wasn't aware you could rewire it.
> Why not use vty1 instead?  that's what we do; we just leave the console on
> vty1 and let the messages pile up on vty0, checking them every so often.
> That way it lets the screensaver kick in :-)

I would love to! That is the desired effect! :-)
The problem is that my ttyv1 and v2 were also slammed. The module was the
plain old if_de.c. 100MBit is very particular about its cabling, and it
kept telling me:
enabling 100TX
de0 down. Cabling problem?
enabling...
disabling...

blah blah blah ad naseum.

If /dev/console was ONLY ttyv0 I'd be the happiest boy alive. Well,
certainly one of them :-)

Regards,
Kevin