Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2007 18:40:17 GMT
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/86388: [patch] periodic(8) daily should backup bsdlabel(8) / fdisk(8) disk labels

The following reply was made to PR bin/86388; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,  lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org
Subject: Re: bin/86388: [patch] periodic(8) daily should backup bsdlabel(8)
 / fdisk(8) disk labels
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 20:23:07 +0200

 Is there any progress to integrate this patch in to base system (6.x or
 7.x)?

 It seems useful to me. I was thinking to integrate similar feature in to
 my own backup scripts, but start googling first and find this periodic
 script.

 I think there is nothing bad on backuping disk layout on filesystem
 itself, because filesystem is (could be) easily backed up by tar, rsync,
 dump or any other backup system, so one then have disk layout (fdisk +
 bsdlabel) stored in the backup archive with data.

 The last note - I can not find updated version of 220.backup-bsdlabels
 with daily_backup_bsdlabels_xtra_disks announced variable (I am using
 gmirror on almost all my servers)

 Miroslav Lachman