Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 22:31:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kent Boortz <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some FAQ's.....

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Kent Boortz wrote:

> ...or maybe not FAQ's but things that I spent hours to find out.
> Could someone please correct the text below and maybe add it to the FAQ?
> I'm sure it would save others time too.

I'm not sure I can do much with this since you're not specific enough.

I wrote this Q so I'm curious to know what exactly you're getting hung up
on.

> Q: I have one IDE disk as the boot disk and one SCSI disk with FreeBSD and
> get "panic cannot mount root"?
>
> The boot process (XXX: or who is confused?) gets confused by the fact
> that you are mixing IDE and SCSI disks. This message comes as an
> surprice because much of the boot is already done and why suddenly
> fail to find the disk? The reason is that the boot manager and the
> kernel finds the disk differently.
>
> Manually you can do one of
>
> 	Bypass the BTX boot by hitting space when the spinning \ | / -
> 	shows up and type in
>
> 		1:da(0,a)/kernel
>
> 	Hit space when the BTX boot is starting and type
>
> 		set root_disk_unit=0
> 		boot
>
> 	(XXX: I expected "set num_ide_disks=1" to work but it didn't)

Why?  There's no reference to that variable anywhere.

> To make this permanent you can put "1:da(0,a)/kernel" into
> "/boot.config" or "set root_disk_unit=0" into "/boot/loader.rc"
> (XXX: is this 3.X only?)

/boot.config works on 2.2.X and later.

> (XXX: Is the file renamed "/boot/loader.config" in later releases?)

It's /boot/loader.rc now (Don't ask).

> Q: What boot manager *should* I use?
>
> It depends. If we look at the free versions they all have limitations
>
>     boot0	Can't boot FreeBSD or any operating system that starts
> 		above cylinder XXXX. Require more than one block
> 		that in very rare occasions interfere with some
> 		operating systems. (XXX: Why is this one better than
> 		the old BootEasy?)  (XXX: Add note that this is the
> 		boot manager that ships with FreeBSD 3.X and up?)
> 		(XXX: where to find it?)

boot0:

1.  Labels the partitions correctly. :-)
2.  Isn't quite so brain dead (depending on the release level).

>     BootEasy	Can't boot FreeBSD or any operating system that starts
> 		above cylinder XXXX. (XXX: Add note that this was the
> 		boot manager that shiped with FreeBSD 2.X and below?)
> 		(XXX: where to find it?)

/tools/ on the CD.

>     LILO	Linux boot loader. Require partition to put
> 		some data on (XXX True? FAT16? ext2?)
> 		(XXX: What can it do?) (XXX: where to find it?)

In any Linux distribution.

>     (XXX: Are there more free alternatives?)

Yes.

> Before you add any of these make sure you save the old MBR so if
> something fails you can go back and access the disk as before.
> This is often a function built into the boot manager installation
> program or you can use (XXX: what?). You restore them (XXX How?)

You're getting lost in the clouds here ...

> (XXX: Maybe adding notes about how to install and administer them.
> Can they be installed/administered from DOS and/or FreeBSD? Why not
> install from Windows? Boot block Virus protection?)

No one has written the docs, I guess.  From FreeBSD, dd works great. :)

Doug White