Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:25:41 -0500
From:      zep <zgreenfelder@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running X11 in a VirtualBox VM

On 12/21/2014 05:08 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
> I had been running X11 inside of a FreeBSD VM under VirtualBox, but it
> refuses to run after the last upgrade a few days ago.  The only error i=
> that it can't open /usr/local/lib/dri/vboxvideo_dri.so.  The file
> doesn't exist so that isn't surprising, but why is it necessary now?  I=

> don't really expect high performance, but I want something to run for
> testing.  I did try booting the same system onto hardware and it ran
> fine with my Radeon card.  The video drivers include xf86-video-vesa,
> but it insists on trying to run the vboxvideo driver that doesn't exist=
=2E
> I did try booting with vboxguest and vboxservice disabled, but there wa=
> no change. =20
>
> The system is FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE and here are a few of the possibly
> relevant packages:
> virtualbox-ose-additions-4.3.20_1
> xf86-video-ati-7.5.0
> xf86-video-vesa-2.3.3_4
> xorg-7.7_1
> xorg-drivers-7.7_2
>
> Is there some way to run this with software rendering?  Please let me
> know if there is more information needed.  Thanks for any ideas.

"after upgrade"?  who/which/what did you upgrade?   if you upgraded the
virtualbox version on the host (the 'host' being the machine that
provides resources for the 'guest' VMs [sorry, that's not meant to be
downspeak, I just don't know if we'd be using the same terms for
things]) then you likely need the virtualbox extensions installed to
match your current version of virtualbox, if you updated the guest's
kernel, then in my experience you'll need to once again install the VB
additions (I normally install from the iso file included with
virtualbox, I've never dealt with vb additions from the freebsd ports).

--=20
public gpg key id: AE60F64C