Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 20:20:51 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br>
Cc:        "Sexton, Robert" <sextonr.crestvie@squared.com>, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Config (Was: GENERIC Kernel Debate)

>From The Desk Of "Lenzi, Sergio" :
> On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Sexton, Robert wrote:
>
> Hello Robert,
> I have been using sysV kernels for a long time too. Now I am an BSD
> converted. The problem for kernel build time (30 minutes) or so seems to
> be too long compared with of a SysV rel 3.2.

The issue of 30minutes for a kernel compile has got to be due
to gcc . Not sure what changed between gcc-1.42 and and gcc-2.x however
simple minded experiments have shown that gcc-2.x takes about 3 times
longer to compile. The other major factor is the cpu/disk/controller and
if you have a minimally configured system, memory is important.

It takes about 8 minutes to compile a kernel over here on my P100 with
32MB and fast disks. It would probably take less than 3 minutes to
compile with the old gcc-1.42 .

I would be nice if  someone with access to gcc-2.x and gcc-1.42 to do a
performance analysis ...

As for the issue of a user friendly front-end to configure a kernel ,
I think that we have enough tools to do a decent job is just a matter
of someone with enough drive to sit down and do it.

	Amancio