Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 23:31:07 -0500
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What Printer To Get - Postscript

Jamie Bowden wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 1997, Dave Alderman wrote:
>
> > Josef Grosch wrote:
> >
> > > My HP Deskjet 500 does a very nice job doing
> > > postscript. apsfilter works just fine and you can spend you money
> > > other thinks like hard disks :-)
> > >

> > Does the apsfilter work at all with newer HP printers like the 85x and
> > 870?  The 500 is not made anymore.  AFAIK, neither of these printers are
> > "WinPrinters".
>
> I bought an HP DeskJet 680C about 2 months ago, works fine.  It's PCL,
> and not PS, so I have to run it through ghostscript with a filter, but it
> works just fine.  Having color is a nice feature, and its not a
> Winprinter (blechh).
>
> Jamie Bowden

I bought an HP 870Cse some months ago and have been using Ghostscript
4.03, but it doesn't support the 800 series.  Using the "Deskjet 550C"
driver works great, but the output is nowhere near the quality of what i
get from native drivers in <cough> Windows.  I'd love to write a new
driver for it if I knew how.  I think the major difference between the
550C and the 870Cse is speed (I'd have to say the 870Cse is, uhm,
considerably faster) and the 800 series does 600x600dpi black
(outstanding black output, i might add).  As for color, i think the
resolution remained the same, about 360x360 (kind of a pity seeing as
how Canon and Epson have gone 720dpi and now Epson even has 1440dpi
<WOW!>).

Chris Dillon