Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 20:07:34 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        rivers@dignus.com, cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-emulation@freefall.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, jlemon@americantv.com
Subject:   Re: LINUX emulation and uname(3).

> > NO, I think this is a bad idea. First off it _is_ not a Linux system,
> > second the next thing is you will have to report an os version. Now tell
> > me which of the bezillions Linux's versions are we going to call us then ?
> > And besides some programs uses this to tell other services which platform
> > they are running on, we dont want to advertise ourselves as Linux do we ??
> >
> Well - I suppose it comes down to just how much of an emulation
> we want to be...   That is, do we want to be able to run any Linux
> program; or some (admittedly large) subset of them?

That should have nothing to do with it, but some vendors are just plain
stupid, and we shouldn't pad them on the shoudler for that.

>  Since there are many different variants of Linux emulation; I'd suggest
> we simply report our emulation version as the OS version.

We allready do that, sort of..

>  And - we would not be advertising ourselves as Linux; but simply
> being faithful to the emulation...

That was NOT what I meant, certain programs uses the uname info to
log to other parties that they've "been there", we don't want the
statistics to be in favour of linux here, when it actually was a
FreeBSD system that made the connection.
It has nothing to do with fait, its hard facts :)

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..