Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:18:23 -0500
From:      <crzdgns1@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   man page help

Hello All,

I am a FreeBSD/UNIX newbie.  I have posted here several times
already and everyone has been very supportive.  I wasn't happy with
my first "real" install of FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE, so the other day I re-
installed, this time just the full base installation with X.  I am currently
trying to configure my firewall.  I chose to use ipfirewall and followed
the directions in the handbook explicitly, starting at the beginning of
the section about IPF.  Anyhow, my ISP uses DHCP, and there is a
line in the ipf.rules file, which I have included below that deals with
DHCP (I hope it is formatted as on the handbook webpage, my email
program won't let me display it to its full width):

> # Allow out access to my ISP's DHCP server for cable or DSL
> networks.
> # This rule is not needed for 'user ppp' type connection to the
> # public Internet, so you can delete this whole group.
> # Use the following rule and check log for IP address.
> # Then put IP address in commented out rule & delete first rule
> pass out log quick on dc0 proto udp from any to any port = 67 keep
> state
> #pass out quick on dc0 proto udp from any to z.z.z.z port = 67 keep
> state

The fourth # sign says, "use the following rule and check the log for
the IP address".  Where is the log?  How do I find it?  This basic
problem spawned an attempt by me to decipher the man page for the
find command in an attempt to locate any file containing the word
"log" and revealed to me that I do not understand how to read the
man pages.  So, my quesiton for the group is, do you have any
recommendations for using the man pages.  Is there a resource on
the web that gives easier to read instructions on deciphering man
pages?

Thanks!

Mark