Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:16:40 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Crist Clark <crist.clark@globalstar.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Article in Information Security Magazine

Interestingly enough, the office where I work has AIX, Solaris, Linux,
and BSD, plus Win32.

I require the UNIX administrators to be able to work on any of them.
While they each have their own specialty, they have to be able to do
basic configuration on any of them (with the aid of the run books, of
course).

My most junior admin thought he was hot stuff when he got Linux on his
laptop.  Two months later he reinstalled it with FreeBSD, because it
was "so much easier than running Linux."

I've seen this many times before.  When I joined Verio, we went from
Linux to BSD and (after the initial shock) the techs were pretty
happy.

If people try both, they generally choose FreeBSD.

Kinda nifty, eh?  :)

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 01:58:53PM -0700, Crist Clark wrote:
> I just got my hardcopy of May's Information Security Magazine and noticed
> an article on the *BSDs. The article can be found on the web at,
>
>   http://www.infosecuritymag.com/articles/may01/features_os_security.shtml
>
> Nothing new there that people on these lists wouldn't already know...
> Though I'm sure some people may have comments about the "genealogy" of
> BSD presented.
>
> One interesting off-hand remark I saw,
>
>  "Though BSD has been around much longer, Linux has been hogging the
>   spotlight over the last few years. This isn't such a bad thing, as many
>   computer professionals seeking an alterative to Windows start with
>   Linux and eventually move on the BSD."
>
> The author, Pete Loshin, makes is sound as if a *BSD is the natural
> progression from using a Linux flavor. Thinking about it, I do notice
> a lot of people on *BSD mail lists who say they used to use Linux and
> now use a *BSD, but seldom hear the reverse (with the exception of people
> who have to use Linux at work for some reason or another). I wonder
> how much movement there is between the two camps... not that every
> person necessarily has to be a card-carrying Linux- or *BSD-zealot
> and not have some appreciation for a variety of projects/products.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
> crist.clark@globalstar.com                    Globalstar, L.P.
> (408) 933-4387                                FAX: (408) 933-4926
>
> The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
> intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If
> the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee
> or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
> hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying
> of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
> e-mail in error, please contact postmaster@globalstar.com

Michael Lucas
mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org
http://www.blackhelicopters.org/~mwlucas/