Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 01:18:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Name of Mail Server?

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Wes Peters wrote:

> POP mail readers use the POP protocol only to *retrieve* mail from the
> server.  To send mail, they typically open an SMTP session to a fixed
> mail server somewhere and expect it to be able to forward the message
> appropriately.  For your use, the "mail server" would typically be a
> UNIX host running sendmail.  When you send a mail message from the
> Win95 machine, it will dump it into the mail queue on the UNIX host,
> and sendmail will then send it to the proper destination.

Well, my FreeBSD office machine is a Unix host running sendmail, so
its name ought to do it.  But other such hosts (e.g., stanford's
mailhub) don't work either.  It may be that there's something wrong
with the routing tables, although I can ping and telnet and use netscape
without problems.  I am very frustrated with all these Win95 dialog
boxes at this point.

				Annelise