Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 09:25:23 -0500
From:      "MikeM" <myraq@mgm51.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lots of files in a directory

On 1/3/03 at 6:45 AM Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

|On 2003-01-02 09:01, MikeM <MyRaQ@mgm51.com> wrote:
|> I'm considering setting up my server as a mirror site for the freedb.org
|> lookup database.  Unfortunately, I've seem to have run into a stumbling
|> block.  The server app requires over 250,000 files in a single
directory.
|> Each file is about 2k in size.
|
|On 2003-01-02 12:13, MikeM <myraq@mgm51.com> wrote:
|> On 1/2/03 at 8:58 AM Mikko Ty?l?j?rvi wrote:
|> > It can be argued that the application is poorly designed...
|>
|> There's no arguing.  It *is* poorly designed.   I would have used a
|> hash to spread the files across multiple directories.
|> Unfortunately, I didn't design it.
|
|You are probably hitting the limit of fragments that are allowed on a
|filesystem and "time optimization" becomes "space optimization".  Are
|you getting entries in your system logs like the following?
|
|	optimization changed from TIME to SPACE

I just grep'd /var/log/* and the word "optimization" did not appear.

To you and others who have helped me, here's what I'm doing.

- tomorrow I am upgrading from 4.5 to 4.7
- once that proves stable, I'll increase the DIRHASH value appropriately.
- once that proves stable, I'll "tunefs -n enable /usr" to turn on soft
dependencies

I'll report back with my experiences with the new configuration so that the
archive remains complete.

Thanks to everyone who helped.