Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:01:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
To:        "brian j. peterson" <brianpet@ding.mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation Problem

> unfortunately, i don't have any help to offer here.  i just wanted to say
> that i ran into the same problem.
>
> i have an AS200 4/233 with 80 MB RAM and a 2.1 GB SCSI hard drive (/usr is
> ~1.5 GB).  during the FTP install of FreeBSD/alpha 3.2-RELEASE, i get the
> following error:  "Write failure on transfer!  (wrote -1 bytes of 1024
> bytes)".  this occurs during the transfer of slib and appears to occur in
> (or around) chunk 18.  i was originally running SRM 6.2-2 when i ran into
> this problem, but i have since upgraded to SRM 7.0-9 and am still seeing
> the same problem.
>
> does anyone know if this is a problem with the distrobution?  or if this
> is a problem isolated to AS200 4/233s?  or what?
The problem is with the distribution. There is a checksum error on that
part of distribution. (if you switch to tty4 whil doing the install you
will see the error.) I dont know why this hasnt been fixed but everyone
seems to be having the error. I also simply installed 4.0 which works
great but makes me uncomfortable (I always prefer stability). Everything
has gone well with 4.0 with the exception of an ncr scsi controller bus
error that occurs any time I reboot after changing the scsi delay time in
the kernel.

-don