Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:38:34 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem With GCompris

Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> writes:

> Since this isn't listed at http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portserrs.py and
> I haven't a clue (yet, I know I've seen how, just can't remember) how to
> make a report about a port error, I'm posting to this list and
> cross-posting to the listed maintainer for this port.

"man send-pr"

> I'm attempting to install gcompris from ports. Version in ports is
> 8.4.12_3. It won't fetch from the server so I went to download it and
> could not find /that/ version but I did find 8.4.13 so I went ahead and
> put it in distfiles to see if it would work (it didn't).

8.4.12 is still available from the FreeBSD servers, so the current port
builds fine for me.

I tried 8.4.13, and the only problem seems to be the Makefile.in patch,
which needs to be adapted for whatever changed upstream.  [You can build
by just deleting the patch, but permissions and install locations won't
be right, and I don't think it will work properly.

> If I understand this correctly, there is a freeze on ports. Might I know
> if 8.4.13 (or even better, the most recent version) will be available
> after the freeze?

The odds are always better if you supply a patch...

> Or is this facing the same problem as Java, lack of programmers
> dedicated to it?
>
> If so, I'll explore options to fixing that.

It's not quite trivial (often all you need to update a port is to change
the makefile to point to the new version and update the checksums), but
it doesn't look difficult.