Date:      Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:07:35 +1100
From:      Joe Shevland <jshevland@rowantreesoftware.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lockup with powerd on amd64/tyan k8sd pro

Hi,

I've just purchased a new dual-Opteron 2MHz Tyan K8SD Pro machine, with
one of the SiS SATA raid controllers (which isn't supported, but I'm
using gmirror to great success, though that was configured after the
problem below).

I've installed 6-stable as of about two weeks ago. I tried out using
powerd in 'debug' mode (adaptive by default I guess), more for my own
interest's sake, and it locked up the machine solid. Prior to the
lock-up the messages reported is was dropping through the various MHz
steps, and then the lock-up when it reached what I'm guessing was the
lowest level. I was working on the first vty and the lock-up meant I
couldn't switch consoles, or reboot with ctrl-alt-delete etc, but I
didn't see any panic messages. Being a kernel miser I've stripped out
debugging options and so on, but just raising it in case its of
interest. I'll upgrade to the latest stable and try it out again now,
but also willing to try other suggestions if its not a known issue.

Aside from that, this is also a bit of a recommendation for the
configuration I've got, it seems extremely slick. I've compiled the JDK
1.5 port and its the fastest one I've tested under FreeBSD, albeit thats
the hardware and CPU's that will be making most of the difference versus
my other lowly machines - I was just very happy to see it working on
amd64 (JBoss under load with Postgres moving the data is the next test).

Cheers,
Joe