Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 07:44:39 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        michael@327.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about updating installed ports

Michael O'Henly wrote:

> I using 4.3 RELEASE , I've installed WindowMaker-0.64.0 from ports, and I'd
> like to update this version 0.65.
>
> I've been reading about the various ways to update installed packages and,
> since I haven't done this before, I'd like to ask for advice.
>
> I think the three approaches are:
>
> 1. Delete old. Install new.

If you want to update all the dependencies by hand, or if you want to
delete all dependent ports first, this would be the way to go.

> 2. Use pkg_update to update.

Works with binary packages.

> 3. Use portupgrade to update.

Works by compiling from source, then installing the new port over the
old installed package.

> Approach 1 seemed like the cleanest, so that's what I tried.
>
> When I did "pkg_delete -v windowmaker-0.64.0", I saw a long list of items
> deleted, ending with:
>
> [...]
> Attempting to remove dependency on package `jpeg-6b'
> Attempting to remove dependency on package `png-1.0.11'
> pkg_delete: couldn't open dependency file
> `/var/db/pkg/png-1.0.11/+REQUIRED_BY'

[snippage]

> I'm a bit concerned about the lines that look like:
>
> pkg_delete: couldn't open dependency file
> `/var/db/pkg/png-1.0.11/+REQUIRED_BY'
>
> What does this mean? Is it a problem?

This means the package windowmaker needs png to run. You probably
previously updated png by hand, leaving the entry in windowmaker saying
"I need png-<version>" pointing to an obsolete version of png.

> Approaches 2 and 3 look good, but I'm not sure how/if they differ (from each
> other). Why would one choose those methods rather than simply
> deleting/reinstalling?

- Method 1 leaves _lots_ of dependencies int the pkg database to be
updated by hand.

- Method 2 failed sometimes for me.

Thus, I use

pkg_version -L= to detect which ports need an upgrade, then inspect
portupgrade -n output, then execute it.

Just my EUR.02
-Christoph Sold