Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 20:13:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Config (Was: GENERIC Kernel Debate)

> >>  [etc, etc.]
> >>
> >> at 7 bucks a meg...who cares?
> >
> >People who distribute boot floppies?
>
> This is silly. There's no reason to put a kitchen-sink kernel on
> a boot floppy. Having a couple of different boot floppy kernels is
> easy. The "generic kernel" issue is one of compatibility, content
> and size.

It's an issue of "what hoops must I jump through to run FreeBSD".

It's *not* a content issue, unless content must be static.  If
content must be static, I claim the design to be flawed, since
this is how I defined it.  If you dislike my definition, provide
a better one; your dislike have been noted, but is not persuasive
in any way without an alternate definition having been provided.

> >People who want to sell their sync serial cards which require
> >proprietary drivers into the "I couln't build a kernel to save
> >my life" market.
>
> Hardly. Anyone who thinks that someone is going to be compelled to
> use unix simply because he doesnt have to build a kernel has his
> head, neck and shoulders buried in the sand.

I do *not* believe they will be compelled to use UNIX.  On the
contrary, I believe they will be compelled by usability issues to
use NT or some other OS other than UNIX.

I dislike this idea, however, I have seen much in the way of
supporting evidence, and nothing to the contrary from the heated
opposition to the idea.

> Based on our experience with LINUX loadable modules, building a
> FreeBSD kernel is a lot easier and requires less support than loadable
> modules. Unless you implement a perfectly seemless loadable module
> interface, they are arguably more difficult and more problematic than
> static kernel modules.

This is *precisely* the model I keep proposing.  It is *precisely*
the model Windows NT uses, and Windows NT has a provably superior
dynamic linking technology on which they implement their model.

> My message was in response to your goals, which seemed to be mostly
> addressing the memory footprint (ie, discarding initialization code, etc).

My goals are to have the bare minimum necessary kernel, no less.
And no more.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---