Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 00:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/34046: Sysinstall fails to read existing conf files

The following reply was made to PR i386/34046; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: Antony <antony.pollard@btinternet.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:29:02 +0200

 On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:05:59PM -0800, Antony wrote:

 > >Number:         34046
 > >Category:       i386
 > >Synopsis:       Sysinstall fails to read existing conf files
 [snip]
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > load up sysinstall and choose configure then networking then services ( i
 > think) and enable sendmail. exit out of sysinstall and then do the same
 > but disable sendmail. look in rc.conf and u will see that it has a line
 > enabeling sendmail and the disabeling it which is quite pointless. This
 > can also happen during the initial install of FreeBSDif u tell sendmail
 > not to be enabled but it will still load on the first boot.

 This is not really pointless; it helps preserve the history of changes,
 so that later it is *very* easy to restore the configuration as it was
 before the most recent round of changes (or, for that matter, before
 any round of changes done via sysinstall).  The additional lines do no
 harm, yet they might prove extremely useful in the case of a mistake made
 during editing.

 There is indeed the possibility that a hasty sysadmin editing the rc.conf
 file by hand might change a value at the first occcurrence of a variable,
 and fail to notice that the same variable is assigned a different value
 further down, but I think this would fall under the category of acceptable
 risks of pilot error :)  In general, I believe that sysinstall's behavior
 of keeping the old values is very useful and should be kept unchanged.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 When you are not looking at it, this sentence is in Spanish.