Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 14:00:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov (Doug Wellington)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.02

> What is The Real Deal(tm) with Java anyway?  Once you get through
> the hype, is Java anything more than C++ without pointers?

That's obvious.

Two futures:

			Microsoft		Sun
			----------------------	----------------------

Where to grab money?	Set top boxes.		Set top boxes.

Implementation?		Built in browser	Built in browser
			with pluggable		with pluggable
			extensions.		extensions.

Plugin technology?	ActiveX controls.	JAVA Applets.

Linking technology?	Dynamic loading,	Dynamic loading, not
			using COM		using COM

Transport technology
to avoid loacl storage?	CIFS			WebNFS

Server technology?	Intel; plus some	Intel; plust some
			RISC platforms, but	RISC platforms, like
			not SPARC machines	SPARC machines

Server OS?		NT			Solaris

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org