Date:      01 Jul 2001 13:29:01 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with X and window manager

Hi all,

I am having some weirdness with my window manager. I currently use
icewm built from ports running under gnome on 2 machines. Until
recently it behaved OK on both machines.

On the first machine, I am having problems with my .xinitrc
It looks as follows :

/usr/bin/ssh-agent > /tmp/ssh-agent.out
source /tmp/ssh-agent.out
/usr/bin/ssh-add < /dev/null
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x40 = Meta_L"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x73 = Alt_L"
exec gnome-session

This used to start ssh-agent, source the ssh-agent.out file and popup
a window asking me for my ssh passphrase. Once this was done it would
launch gnome-session. Like I say, this used to work.

Yesterday I installed sawfish. I wasn't happy with a couple of things
about it (mostly window placement and shortcuts to launch
applications), so I decided to go back to icewm. Now starting X gives
me the following :

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
source: not found
Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.
SESSION_MANAGER=local/pan.home.penguinpowered.org.uk:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2113

I've tried replacing the source line in my .xinitrc with
. /tmp/ssh-agent,out
but the same message persists. Now my ssh passphrase is not asked for
and life is generally grody :)

On the other machine, the xinitrc works ok, and the source function
also works. The problem on this one is with switching desktops. I
always use Ctrl-ALT-(left or right arrow) to flick between
desktops. If after launching an application on a desktop, I flick to a
different one, my keyboard shortcuts (including desktop moving) stops
working. I have to launch an application using the mouse and than my
keyboard works on that desktop. This problem does not happen on the
first machine.

I've tried AutoDetectGNOME at both 0 and 1 in the preferences file but
the problem keeps happening. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix
these problems ? I would truly appreciate it !

Thanks,

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk