Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:01:57 -0500
From:      David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@davehart.net>
Cc:        Shawn Harrison <harrison@tbc.net>
Subject:   Re: Loosing STDOUT after file rotation

--Apple-Mail-5--401780888

On Apr 28, 2004, at 12:53 AM, <freebsd-hackers@davehart.net> wrote:
> over.  Similarly, I'd rather see worm attempts to infect
> davehart@distributed.net result in the worm failing to send the email
> in
> the first place, rather than having it send it successfully only to
> have
> distributed.net's mailserver send a helpful bounce to an innocent
> purported sender (remember, worms lie about sender habitually)
> containing a copy
> of the infection vector.

Speaking on behalf of the poor distributed.net mailserver in question,
this is only half the story when it comes to the damage done by qmail's
behavior in this case.  Not only is the accept-then-bounce behavior
generating annoying and irrelevant bounces for innocent email
addresses, it's also generated an outbound queue of bounces to domains
and emails which don't exist which numbers in the tens of thousands.
These mails clog up the outbound queue for 7 days with qmail dutifully
attempting delivery periodically never quite coming to grips with the
fact that the addresses are pure bunk.

I switched my home server to postfix this past weekend and plan to do
the same to the distributed.net servers now that I know how the
conversion is done.

--
David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
http://www.slacker.com/~nugget/