Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 02:02:27 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It's that time of year. GIF files.

* Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> [001212 01:34] wrote:
> Hello,
> I am educating my son in the ways of non-MS software :)
> Is there a port of anything available for making
> animated GIFs ? I guess you can do it with the GIMP, but that is way too
> complex for him (and for me!)

When I read "It's that time of year. GIF files." I thought you
were referrnig to "Burn all GIFs day".

Unfortunetly the GIF encoding scheme is patetended by a company
called Unisys, which didn't enforce the patent until it was in use
everywhere.

It's not thier fault, apparently they didn't know the compression
scheme was thiers until everyone was using it, however they also
didn't mention it when the designer had an article up about it
that there was a patent pending.

Tell your kid to "just say no to GIFs".  I'm sure there's a better
format out there, avi maybe?