Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:46:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        <TD790@aol.com>
Cc:        <hackers@freebsd.org>, <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3Com driver problems (fixed)

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 TD790@aol.com wrote:

> ping is not a very good test...one of the reasons that most people cant find
> problems generally. plus you want to use smaller packets to get the pps up.
> The ave size packet is under 400 bytes on the net and it better simulates
> real life.  Once you saturate the wire the lockup occurs  rather
> quickly....you have to get to the point where the overflows are happening
> faster than the machine can process the interupts.

Blah blah blah blah blah.  I know ping isn't a great network diagnostic
tool, but it allowed me to see the problem easily.  You're welcome to run
further tests with your flooder of choice to confirm my findings.

The problem with stats interrupts causing slowdown was indeed due to a bug
in our driver, and not some hardware bug.  I have fixed the bug and
committed the fix to -current; the fix will be MFC'd in a day or two,
before the 4.5 codefreeze begins.  In the meantime, you can grab the diff
out of cvsweb if you're interested.

And yes, it was pretty bad.  The reason I didn't notice it too much is
because stats interrupts were disabled under -current as a temporary fix;
that change never got ported back to 4.x.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack