Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 1996 16:08:20 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running FreeBSD with NO CONSOLE (AT ALL)

I'm running freeBSD with no available sio device and no videa
cards.
(there IS an sio device but it's attached to the modem)

this device is htrefore running with no console device.
By this I mean that all calls to such routines as cnwrite
cnopen etc.
do not call any hardware, but return immediatly.
because the cn_tab == NULL

the only problem I've seen so far is that in exit()
there is an unguarded call to p->pg_session->s_ttyp
which is NULL.
there is a check for p->pg_session->s_ttyvp and the assumption is
being made that if s_ttyvp (points to /dev/console's vnode) is valid,
then the tty struct in the physical device is also valid.

this is not so because the TIOSCTTY ioctl sets them
in different places, and one refers to teh device /dev/console,
whisch always exists, and the other refers to the tty struct for the
underlying physical device.

I have hacked the exit code to also check s_ttyp
which gets arount that problem, but it leaves open the question
"What IS the right answer"?
should I
1/ make a dummy console device that supplies a tty struct
2/ make the fix I've made
3/ Other suggestions?

Eventually the aim is to be able to run with no console, but in
some special case, attach the console to sio0
but only with some special checks.

julian