Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:05:30 +0100
From:      "Jeff Rollin" <jeff.rollin@gmail.com>
To:        backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Experience

On 12/09/06, backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > version
> > and
> > not
> > In

> > which

> > balance

> > > I've only been around since FreeBSD 5.4 myself,
> > and
> > > found during installs that sysinstall would get
> > > confused if you changed your mind and went
> > backwards
> > > through the menus to reconfigure options. it seems
> > > like the one in 6.1 is a lot better, but maybe I
> > just
> > > move back and forth less...
> > >
> > > That being said once it is installed it is a
> > million
> > > times easier to maintain and upgrade then any
> > Linux
> > > I've used. I had an old Digital 486 I had to
> > install
> > > Redhat 7.3 thinking I could easily update to the
> > > latest kernel. I found I had to go through so many
> > > dependancies to do so I finally said whatever
> > kernel
> > > was there was good enough. Talk about having to be
> > > GNU guru to get things installed correctly without
> > > clobbering the old stuff and running into
> > trouble...
> >

> > I'm unconvinced you could take FreeBSD 4 box and run
> > the kernel from 6.1 on
> > it without changing anything else.
> >

> well cvsupping to Rel_5 and running a make buildworld
> && make buildkernel && make install kernel a reboot
> some mergemaster magic an installworld some more
> mergemaster magic and then cvsupping to Rel_6 and
> repeating is still lighttyears easier then watching
> the  Linux kernel build stop, downloading the sources,
> configuring the dependancy properly, uninstalling the
> old, and reintalling the new. Especially when you will
> be tracing dependancies for weeks, unless your a
> pretty good programmer, which I am not, and know the
> dependancy chain of the core system. My point was the
> relative ease of upgrading, not the technical points
> of having missing object stubs. Of course you can't
> put a cummins deisel in a pinto without working on the
> frame first.

Shrug. I've had problems trying to recompile the FreeBSD kernel too.

> Of late I was using Gentoo which I found to be
> > FreeBSD
> > > like with its portage system, until recently when
> > it
> > > seems they changed many system level interface
> > stuff
> > > sometime after April 2006 and now I cannot seem to
> > > update it.
> >

> > The developers say you should not leave updating too
> > long... True, if you
> > are running FBSD 5.1 and need to update to 6.1, 5.3
> > is still there on the
> > servers, but you do have to go through the steps of
> > installing that
> > intermediate version.
>
> well it was current as of april 8th when I made the
> tape. I went on vacation in May and got back on or
> about the 17th of May. Updating HAS NOT WORKED SINCE
> THEN. so if waiting 6 weeks is too long then so be it.

6 weeks too long? 6 months, *maybe*.

I'm not going to constantly be emerging an update on a
> daily basis to stay current, especially since
> Openoffice seems to change its release tag everyother
> day on Gentoo and it puts a machine out of commission
> for 8-12 hours to build it. When:
>
> emerge --update --deep --newuse --emptytree world
>
> fails with PAM blocking, mozilla blocking, and now
> Xorg blocking as well as some other odds and ends
> thats when I say BSD is for me. to me it is
> incomprehensible why I cannot rebuild the system tree
> from scratch without software blocking the build. It
> was fun while it lasted, and it was nice to be away
> from winblows but in my experience linux is slower, a
> pain to configure, impossible to update, and a project
> started to emulate Unix. I'd much rather spend my time
> learning Unix, then fighting with the emulator.

That was my point, that BSD was rewritten from the ground up to avoid AT&T
patents. So whilst some might consider BSD "real unix", it's really only
"emulating" V7 with Berkeley extensions.

> > Even a full system rebuild has blocking
> > > packages that boggle my mind as they were compile
> > from
> > > source originally...
> >

> > Stuff usually blocks if something about the way it's
> > installed has changed
> > in an incompatible way - X.org moving from
> > monolithic to modular builds, for
> > example. This doesn't seem to have anything to do
> > with (binary) packages.
> >

> well if I just delete the blockers and let them be
> fixed in the rebuild via them being dependancies it
> still fails. and use flags are basically useless in
> binary packages right? I don't like packages, I like
> to see that the port(age) will build on my machine,
> because I am a firm believer if you build it, it will
> run... Not to mention you can set the options you
> want.

My point was that binary packages and blocking are two separate issues.

> sysinstall isn't all that bad. It could be flashier,
> > > it could be graphical, it could be a lot of
> > things. If
> > > it really bothers you that much you can make
> > yourself
> > > a livecd system that brings up X and restores a
> > basic
> > > install, or cvsups whatever system you want on
> > your
> > > pc/sparc/whatever and builds it from source. that
> > is
> > > the beauty of Unix. True Unix not an emulator like
> > > Linux.
> >

> > I let a lot of BSD comments about Linux go
> > "unpunished", but this one has
> > always got me. BSD had to be *almost totally
> > rewritten* to  avoid AT&T
> > licensing issues... added to the fact that I
> > wouldn't be surprised if it's
> > hard to find a single line of code IRIX, Solaris et
> > al these days share
> > between themselves and with V7. Not only that, but I
> > understand that a lot
> > of Unix sysadmins download the GNU tools as well,
> > because (among other
> > things) they do nifty things like being able to
> > unzip, gunzip or bunzip a
> > tarball before untarring it. And the amount of
> > software available from
> > people like KDE to install in FreeBSD is staggering.
> >
> > That and the fact you get an OS with a set of
> > > base software and a compiler out of the box. Linux
> > is
> > > only the kernel, you have to make hundreds of
> > > independant software packages work together to get
> > > system running. Each one with their own
> > independant
> > > configuration files, and hundreds of man pages to
> > > read. Even the rc.d system is a separate package.
> >

> > I doubt things magically work in FBSD, either. The
> > maintainers probably have
> > build scripts that automate fetching this or that,
> > but it's all gotta be
> > done.
> >
> > now I'm sure things have progressed with Fedora Core
> > > where updating is nice and simple, but the shear
> > > amount of chaos that is Linux just drives me nutz.
> >

> > Linux is chaos?
>
> ABSOLUTELY, but only because I am not a developer, and
> know of C code... I find you have to be completely on
> top of what it is and then some to get anything done.
> None of the core utilities seem to work together with
> a common configuration. But this is my biased opinion.
> Each POSIX system follows a spec, how they follow it
> is up to them. I find Linux takes a helical route
> occastionally emergeing from event horizons. Plus can
> any one really list what and why the kernel was
> changed since its creation??? No even Linus can do
> that,

Do you have proof of it?

patches come in from everywhere,

But are only accepted if they get the go-ahead from  the "core team", to use
a FreeBSD term...

and weren't

Well, at least you're honest!

Jeff Rollin