Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 22:55:16 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting java stuff? Proposal?

> Sorry for the cross post, but I think it's needed here, since many
> people don't seem to follow both ports and java lists.
>
> Short version:
>
> I propose that there should be a directory where FreeBSD ports can put
> java library files (aka .jar files). My suggestion is
> $PREFIX/share/java/lib.

Sounds good, but....

> Long version:
>
> I have almost finished a port for jsdk-2.0 (java servlet development
> kit).
>
> JSDK is distributed as a tarball with precompiled java classes, docs,
> examples and stuff in a bunch of directories. Naturally, since it's the
> easiest for the people making the software, the recommended installation
> is to extract the tarball into /usr/local/JSDK2.0, add
> /usr/local/JSDK2.0/bin to the search path and /usr/local/JSDK2.0/lib to
> the CLASSPATH, etc...
> Now, beeing a BSD:er, I have split the directories in the JSDK tarball
> as follows, relative to $PREFIX (usually /usr/local):
>
> bin       -> bin  (i.e. /usr/local/bin)
> lib       -> share/java/lib
> src       -> share/java/src
> examples  -> share/examples/jsdk
> doc       -> share/doc/jsdk

> I propose that we have a common /usr/local/share/java/lib where ports
> (and manually too) can put jar files (and sources in share/java/src?).

The problem with this is that it makes it much harder to track 3rd party
stuff, because that stuff is created separately and *expects* the
directory hierarchy to be the way it was created.  By breaking it up you
make a couple of things harder.
1) If they totally re-organize their distribution upgrading the port is
   harder to upgrade.
2) Dependencies are harder to track.
3) Java is a moving target, and having multiple version of Java on your
   system is a going to be a very strong possibility.
   1) JDK1.1 a.out/ELF
   2) JDK1.2 a.out/ELF

I could a single machine having easily 1 or 2 binaries on it, depending
on alot of factors.

Nate