Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:25:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mbr selection list

> From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
> Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:04:51 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> i currently see an mbr selection list like
>   F1 - DOS
>   F2 - Unknown
>   F3 - FreeBSD
>   F4 - FreeBSD
>
> i want F2 and F4 removed because
>   o the unknown partition is the suspend to disk partition
>   o F4 is a non-bootable part of the F3 system
>
> so, how do i
>   o remove two
>   o and maybe rename the remaining for cosmetic reasons

Just modify the source for boot0 (/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.s). The
problem is that boot0 MUST not grow. It needs to fit into a single
disk block and must not exceed 512 bytes.

A great deal of effort has been expended in keeping it to 512 bytes
and it is one reason that it does not have the smarts to recognize
NTFS partitions.

Renaming is easy, as long as the new name is not longer than the old
name. The relevant code starts on about line 360 of boot0.s. (Hope you
are comfortable with i386 assembly language, but I suspect that you
are.)

Obviously you need to be careful so that you don't have an un-bootable
system. I suggest that you have a "fixit" CD or floppy handy to
re-write the boot block if you mess it up.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)