Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 03:33:23 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote make install

>Very good info.  I looked at make's man page, but couldn't see any
>reference to error returns.  Is there any possiblity of changing the man
>page to include a reference to sysexits(3) ?

No.  It just returns whatever the command returns.  Commands are very
inconsistent in their use of sysexits.  `install' uses sysexits because
Garrett likes them and added them to `install' when he added the -C
option.  The man page should probably say a little more about exit
statuses and refer to wait(2), and say something about the "***" string
that it prints when there is an error.  `make' doesn't print this to
stderr, and this string in stdout is sometimes the only indication of
an error.  Gnu make uses the same convention except it prints the
string to stderr.  Sigh.

Bruce